Saturday, April 21, 2012

Adelante Mujer Latina w/ REFORMA

In a room filled with vivacious and glowingly eager youth; Today's Adelante Mujer Latina Education & Career Conference opening ceremony was a place of empowerment and the beginning of a day filled with questions and answers. Normany Cadena, keynote speaker and Boeing Engineer, reality checked the audience with her compelling story-- that most Latinas can relate to. I get emotional when I hear people's stories; because I too have a story that is all too familiar in the minds of chicanas, latinas, and sisters/ brothers that are part of historically disenfranchised peoples.

I was pleased to be amongst the sea of our future leaders-- to be a part of what many womyn in the world may not ever have: a friend, hermana, profa, or mother/father. To say that I was with the REFORMA LA-Chapter bibliotecarias gave me that sense of community that I have never had. Cynthia, Sonia, and Monica, promptly began our panel: Who can help you find the answers to any question? A Librarian, at 10:00 am in our cozy Pasadena City College classroom. Muxeres and muxercitas from different communities in Southern California slowly tricked into room R111. It was now or never, to began what will be a future of speaking in my profession. Like always my heart was beating from childhood traumas, a fear to be in front of others. Sonia soon introduced our panel and we each had a chance to speak about librarianship, or the road to librarianship. Slowly we made our way through a cheerful and upbeat discussion, and I kept thinking how lucky these youth are to have such mentorship at their fingertips. With little certainty, I will never know how valuable today was for the young womyn who attended today's panel, and they will never know how powerful today was for me as an aspiring librarian. I am left with one question that will beg to be answered: what has education meant to me?


No comments: