Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blog'in It @ Echo Park Library

One of the great perks of working in a library as a Computer Aide is the ability to teach. Each day I encounter moments in my workday where I am confronted with a hands-on teaching situation. Questions like, "how do I?" or "where can I?" are heard daily. With a smile and an answer, I get people where they need to be virtually! Apart from any questions answered on the daily, I have been teaching informal classes every Wednesday and Friday from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Computer Happy Hour, was developed to help people in a non-classroom like setting where they can practice their computer skills in a fun, active-learning environment.





I hope to start developing other computer classes that are useful to our developing lives with technology in the digital age. With limited capabilities that the library's computers have, this is a challenge for me to make a class that can be useful to patrons in their digital endeavors, all while using public computers. I welcome any innovative thoughts from you on topics that are of interest.

A recent event that took place @
Echo Park Branch was, Blog'in It: A Class To Start Your Blog. This class was developed to get individuals involved in online communities. Many people are involved in social networking sites where they comment on fragments of information. Blogging can be an organized way of expressing oneself and communicating ideas via the web.

Having just started this blog, I wanted to share my new found knowledge and see how locals could teach me about their interests. And what a great class! I used a power point that I had developed to guide us through the process. Each person was given a pre-made idea board, to aid them connecting their thoughts, since it can be daunting to put ideas together.