Friday, May 13, 2011

A Blog?

These past years after CSULA have been some of the hardest; dealing with the economy and the loss of job opportunities, the increase in education costs, and of course the constant attacks against immigrant communities and historically disenfranchised peoples.

So I decided to write a blog chronicling my academic/ pre-grad journey, AND possibly beyond. I felt it was time to use the web to my advantage. After all, what better place to share my professional, school, and activity experiences than the web.

Here I am, a newcomer to the world of LIS, with one pinky-toe in archives and special collections. WE all have our personal stories about libraries, archives, and museums, each with their unique defined places and times. I hope to use this blog to talk about my journey, and more importantly how I can fine-tune my skills.

REFORMA-LA
When I was introduced to REFORMA- LA Chapter, The National Association to Promote Library & Information Science to Latinos and the Spanish Speaking, a great group of dedicated, brilliant librarians, para-professionals, archivists, and community, I recall being nervous about my lack of experience and education in Library Science. And who wouldn't be intimidated by a bunch of amazing people with MLISs, other meta-experiences? Although, I did have some familiarity with academic and public libraries due to my own previous research, I still was uneasy. Going to meetings invoked these types of insecurities. As I became more involved, I found ease and community.

What happened, not surprisingly, was that I would find myself challenged again by the social context. In particular, I recall one meeting, to plan the Elizabeth Martinez Scholarship Awards Dinner. During my first meeting a comment was made that stuck in my mind by one of the members that to this day resonates within my personal, academic, and social consciousness. I can’t exactly recall verbatim what was said, but it was in regards to Latino communities with respect to felling embarrassed or shy to approach a the reference desk. Instantly, I had an internal reaction to this comment. I too, could recall being afraid to approach librarians. Information and knowledge have between-the-line connotations of privilege; who feels entitled to ask, whereas who is uneasy to ask evoke, to me, a relational system in which we as information professionals serve within.

Why do I bring this up? As I become challenged by personal endeavors, how I have grown to understand myself, I cannot separate my gender, economic, class experience, and race from who I am. Maybe the connection is not so obvious, but how information is presented to any society is from usually the ruling class perspective.

The comment stated by the REFORMA member has a context within the library agenda worthy of reflection and inquiry. Hopefully, this anecdote has arisen some emotion within you. These are the questions and others that I want to dialogue about. Information is evolving!

No comments: